Submitting and Receiving Tax Forms

This article goes over what tax forms Teachable users typically submit to and receive from Teachable, and how the process works. If you have any questions about form submission, please contact

Forms for US Persons

Using the Teachable Payment Gateway

If you are a U.S. person (including citizens, resident aliens, and entities treated as U.S. persons), you use the native Teachable payment gateway to collect student payments, and your school earns $600 or more during the tax year, we will send you a request to fill out a W-9 form, using the service Track1099. After you complete the W-9, Track1099 will give you a downloadable copy to keep for your records. You will then be issued a 1099 form with which to complete your taxes.

NOTE: The figure we use for your 1099 is based on how much we paid you during that year, rather than your sales made during that year. This means that because of our payment schedule, sales made at the end of one year may be included in the form for the next year (e.g. if you make a sale on December 20 and are paid on February 1, that payment counts as 2017 earnings).

If you use the Teachable payment gateway but do not meet the $600 threshold, you will not need to submit a W-9 or receive a 1099. Simply report your earnings as miscellaneous self-employment income when you file your taxes.

In the case of authors and affiliates, Teachable will track what each author and affiliate is paid and send them the appropriate tax forms at the end of the year if their earnings exceed $600.

If you own multiple schools and/or earned over $600 as an author or affiliate on someone else’s school(s), you may receive multiple W-9 requests and 1099s. Fill out all of the W-9 forms, and include each 1099 separately on your taxes.

NOTE: If you sell courses to customers within the EU, Teachable automatically collects and files EU VAT when you use our payment gateway. Learn more about VAT here.

Using Custom Payment Gateways

If you use custom payment gateways with Stripe Connect and PayPal to collect student payments (rather than the native Teachable payment gateway), you are fully responsible for your own taxes and will not submit or receive forms to/from Teachable.

In the case of authors and affiliates, when using custom gateways you are also responsible for making payments to them, sending tax forms to them if necessary, and handling the reporting. To assist with this, Teachable does provide reporting dashboards for you, authors, and affiliates. Go to Transactions > History and filter by Author or Affiliate to see related transactions.

NOTE: If you sell courses to customers within the EU, you should also be collecting and filing EU VAT. Teachable does not assist with this when using custom gateways. Learn more about VAT here.

Forms for Non-US Persons

If you are a foreign individual, please submit a Form W-8BEN to If you are classed as a foreign entity (corporation, partnership, etc.), submit a Form W-8BEN-E instead. 


Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us