This article gives you an overview of your Teachable school's General settings.
Finding General Settings
- Log in to your Teachable school.
- Click Settings in the admin sidebar.
- You will be brought inside the General area.
- Inside you can adjust settings for School, Authors, Comments, Blog, and Status.
Now, we'll cover each heading in the General Settings area.
Set up or adjust basic school information including,
- School Name: the name that will appear across your site
- Homepage Heading: your school’s tagline - appears only on homepage
- Homepage Description: your school’s description - appears below heading
- Email: the school’s email address
- Email From Name: the name associated with the school’s email (usually will be the same as the school name)
- When the primary Remove Teachable Branding toggle is turned on, a secondary toggle will appear to remove it on your myTeachable signup and login pages as well:
Add Signup reCAPTCHA: reCAPTCHA is a Google service that protects your school from spam and abuse. When toggled, students signing up to your school for the first time will be asked to choose images that match a prompt (e.g. select all pictures with a mountain). If they are already signed into a Google account, they will be automatically verified.
- When Prevent payment plan cancellations is toggled on, students who have enrolled under a fixed payment plan schedule will be unable to opt out of their initially agreed upon payment schedule.
For Teachable to comply with US state tax reporting requirements and send you your payments in a timely manner, we need your physical mailing address in our system.
Please be assured that we take your privacy very seriously at Teachable, and we will never share your private information with 3rd-party vendors.
In Settings > General > Lectures, you will see two that allow you to choose options for how students encounter your lectures.
- Auto-complete lectures - Automatically mark the lecture as complete when a student finishes the last video.
- Autoplay videos - Automatically begin playing the first video when a student enters the lecture.
- Sync users course percent complete when publishing - Recalculate the course percent complete for users when the number of published lectures in a course changes.
Professional plans and above have the ability to add course authors to their school. Here, in General Settings, you can set course author permissions.
- Let authors publish courses: when toggled on, allows course authors to publish courses on their own. If not turned on, authors can add content to their course, but cannot publish it.
- Let authors email students: when toggled on, allows course authors to email their students from the Teachable admin area
- Let authors set course prices: when toggled on, allows course authors to set prices on their courses
- Let authors create coupons for their courses: allows authors to make and distribute coupons
- Let authors import students: on the Business plan, authors can manually import students
- Let authors customize their course sales pages: authors can write or edit the sales pages for their own courses
In this section, you can adjust your school's default affiliate cookie period from 1-365 days. The "cookie period" refers to the lifespan of the cookie created for a user whenever they are lead to your school through an affiliate link.
You also have the ability to allow your affiliates to generate affiliate links to external pages (i.e. pages outside of your Teachable school). Enabling the Allow External URL redirects will allow your affiliates to direct potential students to an external landing page or lead magnet, and still receive credit for any new students they drive to your school.
NOTE: In order for the external link generator to work, your school must be launched, and 'http://' or 'https://' must be prepended in the URL the affiliate enters.
- Enable comment moderation: when enabled, comments will need school owner approval before appearing on lectures
- Allow multi-level threading of responses: when turned on, students and instructors can respond directly to a comment, with responses appearing a level beneath the original comment
- Blog Name: Appears in the blog header, which shows at the top of your blog homepage and on individual posts
- Blog Subtitle: appears below the blog name in the blog header. Similarly appears on the homepage and across all posts
- About Section: appears in the blog sidebar, tell readers about the blog. Similarly appears on the homepage and across all posts
Learn more about adding a blog to your Teachable school here.
The ability to take your school online/offline, and delete your school permanently. If you take your school offline, it will become inaccessible to visitors and students. You can bring it back online at any time.
To take your school online, click the Take My School Online button:
Similarly, to take your school offline, click the Take My School Offline button.
To delete your school permanently, click Delete School Permanently. A window will appear asking you to confirm that you want to delete your school. To finalize deletion, enter your school's URL in the text box and click Yes, delete my school.
CAUTION: Once your school is deleted, it is gone permanently. Make sure to save any course content or school records you’d like to keep.
School owners can enable myTeachable by pressing the Enable myTeachable Accounts button. Find out more about myTeachable and handling myTeachable access here.