This article gives you an overview of how to modify your school's general settings, take your school offline, and/or delete your school.
To adjust your school's general settings, navigate to the Settings > General section of your school admin. In this area, you'll be able to modify settings pertaining to your school's course lectures, authors, affiliates, lecture comments, blog, status, and myTeachable accounts.
In this section, you can set up or adjust basic school information, including:
- School Name - The name that will appear across your site.
- Homepage Heading - Your school’s tagline; this appears only on the homepage.
- Homepage Description - Your school’s description; this appears below the heading.
- Reply To Email - The email address that any reply to an email sent through Teachable will go to.
- Email From Name - The sender name that will appear in your email recipients inboxes.
When the primary Remove Teachable Branding toggle is turned on, a secondary toggle will appear to remove it on your myTeachable signup and login pages as well:
Add Signup reCAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA is a Google service that protects your school from spam and abuse. When toggled, students signing up to your school for the first time will be asked to choose images that match a prompt (e.g. select all pictures with a mountain). If they are already signed into a Google account, they will be automatically verified.
- When Prevent payment plan cancellations is toggled on, students who have enrolled under a fixed payment plan schedule will be unable to opt out of their initially agreed upon payment schedule.
in this section, you can add your school's mailing address. Please note that Teachable requires your school's physical mailing address for tax reporting purposes and to ensure that your payments arrive in a timely manner. Teachable will never share your private information with 3rd-party vendors and your mailing address will not display anywhere on your school. However, if you are using custom payment gateways, then your school's mailing address will appear on student receipts.
In this section, you can turn on/off various settings for how students encounter your lectures:
- Auto-complete lectures - Automatically marks the lecture as complete when a student finishes the last video.
- Autoplay videos - Automatically begin playing the first video when a student enters the lecture.
- Sync users course percent complete when publishing - Recalculates the course percent complete for users when the number of published lectures in a course is changed.
In this section, you can set course author permissions.
- Let authors publish courses - When toggled on, course authors can publish courses on their own. If not turned on, authors can add content to their course, but cannot publish it.
- Let authors email students - When toggled on, course authors can email their students from the Author Dashboard.
- Let authors set course prices - When toggled on, course authors can set prices on their courses.
- Let authors create coupons for their courses - When toggled on, course authors can create and distribute coupons.
- Let authors import students - When toggled on, on the Business plan, authors can manually import students.
- Let authors customize their course sales pages - When toggled on, authors can write or edit the sales pages for their own courses.
In this section, you can adjust your school's default affiliate cookie period from 1-365 days. The "cookie period" refers to the lifespan of the cookie created for a user whenever they are led to your school through an affiliate link.
Enabling the Allow External URL redirects will allow your affiliates to direct potential students to an external landing page or lead magnet, and still receive credit for any new students they drive to your school.
NOTE: In order for the external link generator to work, your school must be launched, and 'http://' or 'https://' must be prepended in the URL the affiliate enters.
In this section, you can customize comments settings:
- Enable comment moderation - When toggled on, comments will need school owner approval before appearing on lectures.
- Allow multi-level threading of responses - When toggled on, users can respond directly to a comment, with responses appearing a level beneath the original comment.
- Enable comments attachments - When toggled on, users can attach an image file to their comments.
In this section, you can enable and set up your school's blog. You can customize the following blog settings:
- Blog Name - Appears in the blog header, which shows at the top of your blog homepage and on individual posts.
- Blog Subtitle - Appears below the blog name in the blog header. Similarly appears on the homepage and across all posts
- About Section - Appears in the blog sidebar. Similarly appears on the homepage and across all posts.
Learn more about adding a blog to your Teachable school here.
In this section, you can take your school online/offline or delete your school permanently.
Change Your School's Status
If you take your school offline, it will become inaccessible to visitors and students. You can bring it back online at any time. To take your school online, click the Take My School Online button:
Similarly, to take your school offline, click the Take My School Offline button.
Delete Your School Permanently
To delete your school permanently, click Delete School Permanently. A window will appear asking you to confirm that you want to delete your school. To finalize deletion, enter your school's URL in the text box and click Yes, delete my school.
CAUTION: Deleting your school is a permanent action. Once your school is deleted, it cannot be restored, so make sure to save and/or export important school data, including user information, transaction reports, etc.
In this section, you can enable myTeachable accounts for your school users by pressing the Enable myTeachable Accounts button:
Similarly, you can disable myTeachable for your school users by clicking Disable myTeachable Accounts.