This article shows how school owners can issue a student refund.
Student Refund Policy
Teachable has a policy making it mandatory for school owners to fulfill refund requests within the first 30 days of purchase if using the Teachable platform to handle payments. If you want to set up your own refund policy for a longer period of time, or institute a no-refund policy, you must use a custom payment gateway—which is only available on the professional plan or higher.
If a student used PayPal, the refund will be issued immediately. If they used a credit card, it will take 7-10 business days to process.
Issuing Refunds to Students
If your student is requesting a refund on a transaction made within the 30 day refund period, you can process the refund directly within Teachable. To do so:
- Log in to your Teachable school.
- Select Users from the admin sidebar. Then click Students.
- Click the specific student you would like to refund from the list.
- Inside the individual student area, click Transactions.
- Scroll down to the Refund section
- Click Refund Transaction.
- In the modal that appears, fill out the required information - price to refund and (optional) reason.
- Click Refund Transaction.
NOTE: Refunding a student does not mean that the student is unenrolled from the course. For more information about unenrolling a student from your course, see here.
You can also refund a transaction by heading to Transactions > History and selecting an individual transaction. This will take you to the same page as step 6.
If the 30-day period has passed, you'll have to refund your student outside of Teachable. This can be done through a third-party. For example, you may want to reach out to the student and process the refund through PayPal.
If you are using a custom payment gateway, even if the 30-day period has passed, you'll be able to refund your student through your Stripe or PayPal account.
Student Hasn't Received Refund
There are several reasons why a student may not have received their refund. Before contacting the Teachable Customer Care team, double check the following:
- Ensure that you (the school owner) actually put through the request
- Confirm that there is no credit card confusion (student used another card than they thought they did)
- Confirm that the student is looking for the right item on their statement - (if on a custom payment gateway will be school name, if not it will say Teachable on the statement)
- Note that if the student paid with a credit card, Teachable uses Stripe to process payments. With Stripe, a refund takes 7-10 business days to process.
- This situation is uncommon, but a student may have disputed the charge with the credit card company and a chargeback has been issued. If this is the case, the school owner will not be able to issue a refund until the student withdraws their dispute.