This article shows how to add a live webinar or video stream to your course lectures as a way to interact live with students.
In short, you can use any live-streaming platform that allows you to embed a code snippet of the broadcast. You can then add the code snippet to the Add Code tab in the lecture editor.
Adding YouTube Live to a Teachable Lecture
For this example, we’ll be using YouTube Live.
- Create a YouTube account and verify it by providing your phone number.
- Enable live streaming on your YouTube account by clicking your icon in the upper right corner and choosing Creator Studio.
- Click Live Streaming from the YouTube creator studio sidebar.
- To stream your first live video, download and set up your encoding software by visiting this website.
- Next, add a title and description, and choose a subject category from the dropdown list. Add a thumbnail to your video by clicking the Change Thumbnail button.
- Before you start live streaming, embed the video inside your Teachable lecture by clicking View on watch page near the bottom right of the YouTube live stream page.
- Below the video, click Share and then Embed. Copy your video’s embed code.
TIP: Change the size of your video player by clicking Show More and using the dropdown menu to choose the size.
- Now, head over to Teachable and log in to your Teachable school.
- Choose the course and lecture you’d like to add a live stream to.
- Now, you can Preview the video to see what it looks like in your lecture. Click Publish when you’re ready to start setting up your live stream.
- To start live streaming your first video, open the encoder you downloaded earlier. For this example, we’re using Wirecast Play.
- Click Record at the top of the Wirecast Play dashboard.
- Click Authenticate in the window that pops up.
- Next, sign in with the Google account that is linked to your YouTube account. Click Allow.
- Once your account is authenticated in Wirecast Play, click OK.
- When you’re ready to go live, click Stream at the top of the Wirecast Play dashboard. Your live video will be streamed directly to YouTube and to the video player embedded in your Teachable lecture.
- Click Stream again to stop the live stream.
If students would like to see the video but can’t be there during the live stream, don’t worry. Once you stop live streaming, they can always go back and watch a recorded version of your stream.