This article explains what Zapier is and shows how to integrate it with your Teachable school on the Basic plan and up. Zapier allows you to integrate and use dozens of third-party applications on your school. You'll learn about Zaps, triggers, and actions, and how to use them to automate processes.
NOTE: Teachable Triggers causing outside actions are available on the Basic plan and up. However, Teachable Actions triggered by other applications are only available on the Professional plan and up. See the Teachable Triggers vs. Teachable Actions section of this article for more.
What is Zapier?
Zapier is an easy way to connect and automate tasks between your Teachable school and many other applications, including:
- Email service providers such as Aweber, Madmimi, Vertical Response, Drip, or even Gmail
- Marketing automation tools such as Infusionsoft, ActiveCampaign, Intercom, Salesforce, and HubSpot
- Team communication tools such as Slack, Trello, and Hipchat
- Spreadsheet tools such as Google Docs
- And others
Zapier has both free and paid plans. The free plan allows up to 100 actions per month, which generally means up to 100 enrollments for most schools. You can find out more about what Zapier does here. Or explore some of the ready-to-go integrations with Teachable below.
Teachable Triggers vs. Teachable Actions
There is a difference between what kind of zaps you can set up based on what Teachable plan your school is on. Essentially, Zaps are comprised of two phases: a trigger step and an action step. Triggers are any event that sets your Zap in motion, while Actions are an event that’s subsequently completed inside a second app automatically.
Schools on the Basic plan can only set up Teachable Triggers that cause inside > outside automations, meaning that the Trigger must be something inside Teachable that sets off an Action in another app. An example would be adding a new Teachable sale (Trigger) as a subscriber to a sequence in ConvertKit (Action).
On the Professional plan and higher, users can also set up Teachable Actions for outside > inside automations, so that an outside activity in another app can trigger an action within Teachable. An example would be adding new SumoMe email subscribers (Trigger) as new Teachable users (Action). So far, three Teachable Actions are available: Create New User, Enroll User in Course, and Unenroll User From Course.
Integrating Zapier With Your Teachable School
- Sign Up for Zapier, or login using your existing Zapier account.
- Search for Teachable, or click this link to be taken right to all the Teachable integrations.
- Choose an integration and click Use this Zap.
- Next, click the Create this Zap button.
- Click Continue to to finish setting up your new Teachable trigger.
- Choose your Teachable account, or connect a new Teachable account. Click Save + Continue.
- Create and save a sale in Teachable and click Fetch and Continue.
- If the test is successful, click Continue to connect the third-party app, in this case Google Sheets, to Zapier.
- Select your Google Sheets account, or connect a new account, and click Save + Continue.
- Now, select a Spreadsheet and Worksheet from the drop-down menus, fill out any other relevant information, and click Save + finish!
NOTE: Make sure you have a Google Sheet you want to use already set up, including one row of sample data.
- Click Create & Continue to make sure everything is working correctly between the two apps.
- If the test is successful, turn your zap from OFF to ON on by clicking the grey toggle and then click See it on your Dashboard.
- Now you can see your new zap in your Zapier dashboard. Click the zap to edit it.
- You can now edit, or add filters, to your Teachable trigger or Google Sheet action any time you want.
Creating Your Own Teachable Integration
You can also create your own custom integrations using Teachable and any other app that is also on Zapier. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log into your Zapier account.
- Click Make a Zap! at the top of the page.
- Type "Teachable" into the search bar and choose the Teachable app.
- Now, select a Teachable Trigger. A trigger (or event) is something that “triggers” an action. For example, if you want to add all of your new students to a mailing list, New User would be the trigger for the action (adding to mailing list) to happen. There are eight triggers available in the Teachable app (click Show Less Common Options to see them all):
- New Sale: A student enrolls in a course on your school or is manually enrolled. This trigger affects free and paid courses. Bundled courses will count as one sale event.
- New User: A user signs up for your school
- New Enrollment: A user enrolls in a course (whether they purchased it or you manually added them). This differs from the New Sale trigger in that for bundled courses, each course in the bundle will count as a separate enrollment event.
- Profile Updated: A user updates their profile on your school
- Lecture Completed: A user completes a lecture
- New Transaction: A student is charged and makes a payment for a course (could be a one-time purchase or an ongoing subscription/payment plan). E.g. on a monthly subscription plan, there will be a New Transaction event each month when the student is charged. This event does not include free courses or courses purchased with 100%-off coupons.
- Course Completed: A student completes 100% of your course
- Subscription Cancelled: A student cancels a subscription on your school
- Once you’ve chosen your trigger, click the Save + Continue button.
- Next, click the Connect a New Account button (or choose existing Teachable account).
- Enter your Teachable account information in the form that appears in a new window and click the Yes, Continue button.
- Next, click the Save + Continue button. This will connect your Teachable account with your Zapier account.
- Now, test your Teachable trigger by clicking the Fetch & Continue button.
- If your test is successful, click Continue.
Using Zapier Filters
Before creating your trigger’s action, you can choose to set up a filter. Filters are a way to ensure that your actions get carried out only when you want them to. For example, if you only want to add students enrolling in a specific course to your email list, you can set up a filter to do that.
To add a filter to your zap, follow these steps:
- Click the + icon between the Trigger and Action on the left side of your zap editor
- Click Filter.
- Next, click Save + Continue to start setting up your filter.
- Now, create your filter by choosing from the drop-downs. In this example, the action will only be carried out if the course is called My Course.
You can add additional filters by clicking + AND (both filters must apply for the action to take place) or +OR (either filter will trigger the zap). Learn more about Zapier filters here.
Teachable and Zapier Integration Example #1
Once you’ve set up your Teachable trigger and any filters, it’s time to choose an action that will happen when the trigger occurs. While we can't show you an example for every possible integration with Zapier, most of the actions will follow a similar flow as shown in this example.
Let’s create a Zapier integration between Teachable and MailChimp. After you’ve set up your trigger (as outlined in the steps above), create an action using this process:
- Log into your Zapier account and click the Zaps tab in the upper left of the page.
- At the bottom of the page, click Drafts to find the trigger you made earlier.
- Choose the zap draft you’d like to add an action to.
- Click 2. Set up this step on the left side of the page under the Action tab.
- Now, click Choose App.
- Choose MailChimp from the Choose an Action App page. (Alternatively, type “MailChimp” into the search bar).
- Select a MailChimp action. For this example, we’re going to Add/Update Subscriber to our mailing list. Click Save + Continue.
- Next, click Connect a New Account (or choose an account that is already connected).
- Connect Zapier to your MailChimp account by entering your MailChimp username and password. Click Log In after entering your information.
- Click Save + Continue to connect your MailChimp account to your Zapier account.
- Select the MailChimp list you want to add the student to and choose User - Email as the Subscriber Email. You can also change the settings for the other MailChimp email options. Click Continue after setting up the subscriber.
- Test the MailChimp integration by clicking the Create & Continue button.
- If your action test is successful, click the Finish button.
- Name your zap and click the gray OFF button to switch your zap to the ON setting.
- From there, you can choose to see your new zap in your Zapier dashboard or make another zap.
NOTE: Free Zapier plans only allow up to five different zaps.
Teachable and Zapier Integration Example #2
Now that you know how to set up a Teachable trigger for a MailChimp action, let’s do the reverse.
NOTE: Teachable actions are only available on the Professional plan and higher. See what comes with each plan here.
- Log in to your Zapier account and click Make a Zap at the top of the page.
- Choose MailChimp as the trigger app.
- Now, select a MailChimp trigger. There are eight triggers available in the MailChimp app (click Show Less Common Options to see them all):
- New Campaign: A new campaign is created or sent.
- New Subscriber: A new subscriber is added to a list.
- New Unsubscriber: A current subscriber unsubscribes from a list.
- Updated Subscriber: A subscriber is added or updated.
- New Cleaned Subscriber: An email cannot be delivered to a subscriber.
- New List: A new list is created.
- New Bounce: An email campaign cannot be delivered to a subscriber.
- New Group: A new group is added to a list.
- Once you’ve chosen your MailChimp trigger, click the Save + Continue button.
- If your MailChimp account is not already connected, click Connect a New Account. If you’ve already connected your account, click Save + Continue.
- Now, set up your MailChimp subscriber by choosing a List from the dropdown menu and clicking Continue.
- Test your MailChimp trigger by following the steps outlined in Zapier.
- If the test is successful, you’re ready to start setting up your Teachable action. Start by choosing Teachable from the Choose an Action App page. (Alternatively, type “Teachable” into the search bar).
- Select a Teachable action. There are four Teachable actions available in Zapier:
- Create a New User: Creates a new user in your Teachable school.
- Enroll User in Course: Enrolls a user in your course, even if they do not have a Teachable account.
- Unenroll Student From Course: Unenrolls a student from your course based on course or pricing option.
- Find Student: Finds a student through their email address.
For this example, we’re going to Enroll User In Course whenever someone gets added to a specific MailChimp list. Click Save + Continue.
- If your Teachable account is not already connected, click Connect a New Account. If you’ve already connected your account, click Save + Continue.
- Now, choose your Teachable course from the dropdown menu, fill in the name and email of the user you want to enroll in your course, and choose a password for your new user (this is optional). Click Continue.
- Test your Teachable action by following the steps outlined by Zapier.
- Finally, name your zap and turn it on by toggling the gray button from OFF to ON.
Your zap is now up and running. You can choose to see your new zap in your Zapier dashboard or make another zap.