This article covers payment options for students and the different pay structures you can set up when getting ready to sell your course.
Paying via Stripe or PayPal
Stripe and PayPal are the two ways a student can pay for a course on Teachable. Payment pages on Teachable are protected with SSL so information remains secure.
When a student checks out through our native credit card form, they will be paying via Stripe. Stripe is a secure payment gateway used to process billions of dollars in payments each year for companies like Kickstarter, Twitter, Instacart, and Lyft.
Alternatively, students can also check out using PayPal by clicking the radio button next to the PayPal logo on the checkout page.
Students are unable to use PayPal for any kind of recurring pricing plan, like an ongoing subscription or payment plan.
NOTE: In order for PayPal to work as an option, the course must be priced in USD. For instance, if the course is priced in Euros, PayPal will not work.
Checking Out: What Students See
In this section, we’ll take you through the student checkout flow from start to finish.
If you have multiple pricing options, then before students are directed to the credit card form, they will have the ability to select which plan they want to enroll for by choosing from a list of boxes like this:
If it’s a free course, or there’s only one pricing plan, these boxes won’t appear. Instead, there will be a single Enroll in Course button.
After they click this button, they’ll go through a different checkout process based on whether or not you have myTeachable accounts enabled on your school. (To learn more about myTeachable account access on your school, see this article.)
With myTeachable Accounts Enabled
- After clicking the button, students will be brought to the first part of the checkout page, where they’ll create an account using their email and password:
- Once they create their account, they’ll move on to the payment step, where they can review their order and enter their credit card or PayPal information:
- After completing this process, they’ll be sent a confirmation email that looks like this:
If you’re on the Basic plan or higher, you can customize this email in Emails > Template Editor. This specific template is named myTeachable Confirmation Instructions Student Notification. They will also be sent the New Purchase Student Notification email, which contains a receipt for their purchase.
On the Professional plan and higher, you can turn off all Teachable branding on your signup and login pages via a toggle found in Settings > General, by first turning on the main Remove Teachable Branding toggle:
Without myTeachable Accounts Enabled
- After clicking the enroll button, students will be brought to this page, where they can sign up for an account usable on your school only:
- Once they’ve signed up, they’ll proceed to the Payment Details tab, where they can review their order and enter their credit card or PayPal information:
- After they’ve entered payment details and clicked Enroll in Course, they’ll be sent the Confirmation Instructions Student Notification email to confirm their address, as well as the New Purchase Student Notification email, which contains a receipt. These emails are customizable on the Basic plan and higher in Emails > Template Editor.
Updating Credit Card Information
At any time, students can update their stored credit card information by logging into your school and clicking their profile icon at the top right of the page.
When they click Add / Change Credit Card, they'll be brought to this page:
Here, they can update the credit card on file that is used for subscriptions and payment plans, clicking Update Credit Card when finished.