This article shows how to integrate the email marketing service MailChimp with your Teachable school.
What Is MailChimp?
MailChimp is a powerful email marketing tool that allows you to build and manage large email lists. Teachable already includes an email client that allows you to send one-time emails to your entire group of students or a smaller, targeted subset, but you may want to use MailChimp to:
- Set up automatic emails
- Make sure students who sign up for your school are added to your email list
- Monitor and track email performance
- And more
MailChimp has both free and paid plans. The free plan allows you to send up to 12,000 emails per month to up to 2,000 subscribers. To learn more about what you can do with MailChimp, visit this website.
Integrating MailChimp With Your Teachable School
- Log into your Teachable school and select Settings at the bottom of the admin sidebar.
- Click Integrations from the submenu.
- Scroll down and find MailChimp in the list of integrations. Click the gray button to enable MailChimp in your Teachable school.
- Once you’ve enabled MailChimp, you’ll see two empty text fields asking for a MailChimp API Key and a MailChimp List ID. To find those, open up a new window and log into your MailChimp account.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to your username in the upper right corner of your MailChimp dashboard.
- Select Account from the dropdown list.
- Next, click Extras.
- Choose API keys from the dropdown list.
- Generate an API key to use on your Teachable page by clicking the gray Create a Key button.
- Next, scroll down and copy the API key that appears under the Your API keys heading.
- Go back to your Teachable window and paste the API key into the MailChimp API Key text field.
- To find your MailChimp List ID, travel back to your MailChimp dashboard and click Lists in the top navigation bar.
- Choose the list that you want to subscribe your students to. (To learn how to make a list, visit this website).
- Select Settings and click List name and defaults from the dropdown menu.
- Copy the List ID that appears in red.
- Return to your Teachable window and paste the ID into the MailChimp List ID text field.
- Click the Save button in the upper right corner.
Now, every student who registers for your Teachable school will get added to your Mailchimp email list.
If you are on the Basic plan or higher and want to do more advanced integrations, such as having only the students who enroll in a particular course added to a list, see our article on Zapier and Webhooks.