This articles goes over how to add and modify basic information to your course, such title, author, description.
After creating your course, you may want to modify the details of your course which can be done in the Information section of your course admin. For example, you may wish to add a brief description of your course to provide an overview for potential students who are viewing your course sales page. You may also want to designate an author of the course if the course will be taught by a specific instructor. It also may be helpful to add your course to a category, for students to more easily search through your course directory for courses pertaining to a specific topic.
In the same section, you can also enhance to your course sale page’s SEO (search engine optimization), as well as add visual branding. These modifications will come in handy as you start to market your course. In addition to SEO, you can also change the default landing page for students once they have purchased your course, which allows you to customize the post-purchase flow for your students.
To navigate to the Information section of your course admin, complete the following steps:
- Log in to your Teachable admin area.
- In the admin sidebar, select a course where you’d like to add or edit information. If the course is not displayed, click View All to see all courses in your school.
- Once inside a particular course, you should be automatically in the Information area. If you’re not, select it from the sidebar.
Adding Course Details
In the Details section, you can modify important details about your course. This information will be displayed across your school, including the sales page of the course.
In the Details area, you can modify the following:
- Name: This is the title of your course as it appears throughout your Teachable school.
- Bio: This is the bio associated with the author that has been designated to the course. You can select an author bio from the drop-down menu once you’ve added authors to your school. The bio will appear on your course sales page in the Author Bio block. Alternatively, you can click on the New Bio button to designate a new author bio to the course.
- Subtitle: This is the subordinate title that appears beneath the course name on the course sales page in the Course Hero Header block. You can use this to add additional information about the course content
- Description: This is the area that you can compose and add a longer description of what the course it about. By default, it appears on the course sales page in the Course Description Block as a way to offer more information about the course to potential students.
- Categories: In this area, you can add categories to your course. These categories will appear in your school’s course directory.
Enhancing Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
In the SEO area, you can make your course’s sales page more search-engine-friendly by modifying pertinent course details.
To make your course more SEO-friendly, you can modify the following:
- Friendly URL: One of the most basic search engine optimization techniques is in using an SEO-friendly URL. A friendly URL is a web address that is easy to read and includes words that describe the content of the webpage.
- Page Title: This is the title that will appear in search engine results.
- Meta Description:
In the Branding area, you can add branding to your course by setting a custom thumbnail logo, featured background, and/or promo video. You can set different images to use on the iOS app (as different dimensions are recommended).
You can add these types of branding images/videos to your course:
- Thumbnail: A small image that is used to represent your course across your school; it appears to your students in the sidebar of the course curriculum and in the course directory of your school. We recommend using a 960x540px JPG or PNG file type for thumbnail images.
- Featured Background: A large background placed behind the header in the Course Hero Header block or the Background Image block on your course sales page. We recommend using a 1440x780px JPG or PNG file type for background images.
- Promo Video: A short promotional video that displays in the Course Hero Header block on your course sales page. Creating a promotional video is an effective way to engage potential students when they visit your course page. We recommend using a 640-1280px wide (MP4, M4V or AVI) video, no larger than 1.5 GB. Generally, we also recommend that you compress your videos as much as possible.
If you choose to make a promo video, here's an example of how your video would look on the course page
If you don't include a background image but do include a video, here's an example of how your course page will look:
TIP: If using 720p or 1080p, we recommend you compress your files as much as possible. Use a tool like “Handbrake” to help compress your file without losing quality in your video: https://handbrake.fr/
To add a thumbnail or featured background image, click Add Image.
To add a video, click Add Video.
To set an image to use on the iOS app for the thumbnail and background images of your course, click on the iOS icon.
- Thumbnail: A small image used to represent your course in the Teachable iOS app. We recommend using a 300x300px JPG or PNG file format for iOS thumbnail images.
- Background: An image that displays on the course curriculum screen in the Teachable iOS app. We recommend using a 1080x607px JPG or PNG file format for iOS background images.
To remove images or videos that you’ve uploaded, click the Remove button.
Setting Default Pages
Using the Post Purchase Page drop-down menu, you can specify the page students will land on after purchasing your course. For example, you may want your students to be taken immediately to a course’s curriculum, instead of displaying the Thank You page, to create more seamless access to the course.
You can choose to redirect your students after the checkout page to one of these three options:
- Thank You Page: After purchasing your course, students will be directed to your thank you page.
- Enrolled Course Curriculum: After purchasing your course, students will be directed to your course curriculum page.
- Custom URL: After purchasing your course, students will be directed to the URL specified in the Custom Post Purchase Redirect URL field.