This article goes over how Teachable has prepared for the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation.
EU GDPR Overview
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) provides guidelines pertaining to the rights of EU citizens over their personal data including, accessing, correcting, deleting, and restricting the processing of their data.
The GDPR took effect on May 25th, 2018 and requires that companies with access to the personal data of European Union residents take steps to comply with the new law by this date.
Teachable's GDPR Compliance
As a company that processes personal data from all over the world, we’ve always taken the privacy of our users very seriously. To maintain this standard, Teachable is committed to being fully compliant with the EU GDPR.
Teachable has done the following to ensure that we are compliant with the EU GDPR:
- Retained outside counsel to ensure that we comply with every requirement of the GDPR
- Provided a DPA agreement for school owner’s to view, sign, and submit to Teachable
- Reviewed our contracts with our subprocessors to make sure their data protection policies and procedures comply with GDPR requirements
- Designed a procedure for EU users to request access to or deletion of their personal data
- Added email opt-in checkboxes to a course's checkout page
- Built a native contact form for students to contact school owners directly
- Improved school owners’ ability to pass unsubscribe events to third-party services via Zapier or webhook
Your GDPR Compliance
If you are processing the personal data of European Union residents, then the EU GDPR may apply to you. While Teachable is unable to provide legal advice, we encourage school owners to take further steps to determine whether or not you’re compliant with the EU GDPR. You may wish to:
- Familiarize yourself with the requirements of the GDPR
- Review your subprocessors to determine if they are compliant with the new regulation
- Set up email unsubscription automation using either webhooks or the Zapier unsubscribe trigger
Request the Deletion of Your Personal Data
As part of our commitment to GDPR compliancy, any Teachable user can request that Teachable delete their personal data by contacting email@example.com.
For more information about the EU GDPR, see here:
- The European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (Official Online Version)
- GDPR Key Changes
- Guide to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) FAQs for small organisations
For more information about Teachable's current terms and policies, see here: