In certain situations, you may have the option to set up your own custom payment gateways. This article goes over the specifics of custom payment gateways and how to set them up.
NOTE: When setting up a custom payment gateway, you must set up Stripe for credit card payments first. You can then set up PayPal if you choose.
If you're eligible to use Teachable Payments to collect credit/debit card payments:
- A custom Stripe and PayPal payment gateway will not be available.
If you're not eligible for Teachable Payments:
- Both custom Stripe and PayPal custom payment gateways are available to you as long you are on the Professional plan or higher.
NOTE: Transactions processed on a custom payment gateway are not subject to Teachable's 30 day refund policy. For more information on Teachable refunds, please see this Knowledge Base article.
Connecting Your Stripe Account
In order to use Stripe as a custom payment gateway, you'll have to meet the following requirements:
- Be on the Professional plan or higher
- Ensure that Stripe is available in your country
- Do not have Teachable Payments enabled
If you are able to set up a Stripe account, complete this process to set up Stripe as a custom payment gateway for your school:
- Click Settings in the admin sidebar and navigate to the Payments section.
- Click on the Switch button in the Accept Credit Card Payments section.
- Then, click the Connect with Stripe button.
- You'll be redirected to a new webpage on Stripe where you can log in to an existing Stripe account or create a new one.
- If you’re creating a new account, fill out the required information. When you’re done, click Authorize access to this account.
- Otherwise, log in to your existing account to connect with Stripe.
- Upon successful connection, you will see an alert at the bottom of your screen reading Stripe Connect gateway has been successfully set up.
- Your Client ID and API Key will appear inside the Stripe area.
CAUTION: When setting up a custom payment gateway with Stripe, you can no longer accept PayPal payments unless you set up and connect your PayPal account. Steps are listed below.
Connecting Your PayPal Account
In order to use PayPal as a custom payment gateway, you'll have to meet the following requirements:
- Be on the Professional plan or higher
- Price your course as a non-recurring payment in USD - If your course is priced as anything other than a one-time purchase in USD, students will not be able to purchase that course using PayPal.
- Have a PayPal Business account - PayPal uses API credentials to identify each account, and these credentials are needed to verify that a request is being made through a valid PayPal business account.
If you meet these requirements, then complete the following steps to set up PayPal as a custom payment gateway for your school:
- Go to PayPal Developer and sign in to your PayPal business account.. Keep in mind that this is different from the normal PayPal site, so ensure that you are on the right page before starting.
- Click Dashboard in the top right corner.
- From there, visit My Apps & Credentials in the Dashboard.
- Scroll down to REST API apps and make sure to click Live instead of Sandbox.
- Click Create App.
- Fill out the appropriate information. The App Name doesn't matter, but we do recommend calling it “Teachable” so it’s easier to keep track. Once finished, click Create App.
- In the Live API Credentials section, you’ll see your PayPal account email, Client ID, and Secret (aka API) key. If you do not have a PayPal business account, this information will not be shown. Click the Show button to reveal and copy the Secret API key.
- Return to Settings > Payments in your school admin. Click the Switch button to use the custom PayPal payment gateway and copy this information into the Accept PayPal Payments section.
- Repeat step 7 above to copy your Client ID info intoSettings > Payments.
- Enter yourEmail address.
- Click Save and you’re done.
Stripe and PayPal Custom Payment Gateway
When using custom payment gateways, Primary owners are paid out by either Stripe or PayPal directly when the transaction takes place. Stripe and/or PayPal will pay you out in whichever currency you have specified within each respective payment processor.
Authors and Affiliates
It is the responsibility of the primary owner to distribute earnings to authors and affiliates. As such, it’s up to the school owner to determine their preferred payout schedule and method (e.g. PayPal, bank transfer, cash, check, etc.) for their school's authors and affiliates.
You can track author and affiliate earnings using transaction reports. To determine the amount owed to your authors and affiliates, export a CSV of your transaction report processed through your custom payment gateways. Reference the Affiliate Email and Author Email columns to determine which affiliates and authors should receive a commission for each transaction that was processed by your custom payment gateways.
All Custom Gateways*
Please note that there may be processing fees depending on how your custom payment gateway has been configured. If you have any questions about processing fees, reach out to your payment processor (i.e. Stripe and/or PayPal).