This article shows you how to set up custom payment gateways for your school.
Schools using custom payment gateways process their own student payments and are paid directly by Stripe and/or PayPal. Rather than paying Teachable’s transaction fees, you pay transaction fees directly to Stripe and/or PayPal.
Similarly, since Teachable does not process sales for school's using custom gateways, we do not handle or distribute payouts for authors and/or affiliates. School owners using custom gateways are solely responsible for the payment of authors and/or affiliates.
While Stripe (credit/debit cards) and PayPal (USD purchases only) payment gateways can be added independently of each other, both Stripe and PayPal (Business account) must be set up for a school owner to all receive payouts directly. For example, if only PayPal has been set up, then any purchase made using a credit card will be processed through the Teachable Payment Gateway and will be subject to Teachable’s refund policy and transaction fees.
If you’re not sure what payment gateway to set up, see this article for more information.
Connecting Your Stripe Account with Teachable
Stripe only works in select countries; please visit Stripe's website to see if it is available in your country. If available, complete this process to set up Stripe as a custom payment gateway for your school:
- Log in to your Teachable school.
- Click Admin.
- Click Settings in the admin sidebar.
- Select Payouts and then click on the Switch to Custom Gateways button.
- Click Connect with Stripe button.
- You'll be redirected to a new webpage on Stripe where you can log in to an existing Stripe account or create a new one.
- If you’re creating a new account, fill out the required information. When you’re done, click Authorize access to this account.
- Otherwise, log in to your existing account to connect with Stripe.
- Upon successful connection, you will see an alert at the bottom of your screen reading Stripe Connect gateway has been successfully set up.
- Your Client ID and API Key will appear inside the Stripe area.
Connecting Your PayPal Account with Teachable
PayPal is only available as a payment option for non-recurring payments priced in USD. For example, students will not be able purchase a course via PayPal if it priced in Euros (or other non-USD currencies). Similarly, students will not be able to purchase a course via PayPal if the course is priced by subscription or payment plan.
PayPal uses API credentials to identify each account, and these credentials are needed to verify that a request is being made through a valid PayPal business account. Please note that standard PayPal accounts do not have access to PayPal's API credentials, and is available only in certain countries. Please visit PayPal's website to see if it is available in your country.
To set up PayPal as a custom payment gateway for your school, complete this process:
- Go to PayPal Developer. Keep in mind that this is different from the normal PayPal site, so please ensure that you are on the right page before starting.
- Sign in to your PayPal business account.
- Click Dashboardin the top right corner.
- From there, visit My Apps & Credentials in the Dashboard.
- Scroll down to REST API apps and click Create App.
- Fill out the appropriate information. The App Name doesn't matter, but we do recommend calling it “Teachable” so it’s easier to keep track. The Sandbox developer account should automatically populate. If not, you may need to create one. This is done in Sandbox > Accounts on the left-hand tab.
- Click Create App.
- Make sure to click Live instead of Sandbox in the top right corner of the app.
- In the Live API Credentials section, you’ll see your PayPal account email, Client ID, and Secret (aka API) key. Again, if you do not have a PayPal business account, this information will not be shown. Click the Show button to reveal and copy the Secret API key.
- Return to Teachable and copy this information to the PayPal section of Payment Gateways.
- Click Save and you’re done.