By default, payments are processed using the Monthly Payment Gateway unless custom payment gateways are set up. If you use the Monthly Payment Gateway, we handle all payment processing and distribute payouts.
Payouts are distributed to owners, authors, and affiliates on the 1st of each month unless that falls on a weekend or holiday. Note that due to Teachable’s 30-day refund policy, we must hold funds for at least 30 days before releasing them to you.
For example, if you make a sale on June 15th, you’ll be paid for it on August 1 (or the next closest business day). Also, Teachable uses UTC to calculate when a transaction is placed, so if a transaction occurs at approximately 10 p.m. ET (US Eastern Time) on January 31st, this counts in our system as taking place early morning on February 1 in UTC. You can compare time zones here.
Additionally, when you use the Monthly Payment Gateway, we will automatically deduct a transaction fee as well as author payments, affiliate commissions, etc. before issuing payment.
If you’re not sure what payment gateway to set up, see this article for more information.
Setting up the Monthly Payment Gateway
Primary owners are able to set up how they accept payment and receive payouts in the Payouts section of their school admin. To set up the Monthly Payment Gateway, complete this process:
- Log in to your Teachable school
- Click Settings in the admin sidebar and navigate to the Payments section.
- Enter your email address in the Payouts Email section:
- Click Save.
- Once a payouts email is entered, more information and set up options will appear in the Accept Credit Card Payments and Accept PayPal Payments sections. In some cases, you may want to give allow your students to pay for your courses using PayPal—to do so, turn on the Allow student to make purchases using PayPal toggle.
- Afterward, you’ll need to confirm your PayPal Address by clicking the Confirm PayPal email button in the email sent to the email address associated with your Primary Owner account.