On the Business plan, school owners have to ability to create custom user roles by assigning or removing certain permissions. This article goes over how to tailor user roles to fit your needs.
There are five types of user roles on Teachable—primary owner, owner, author, affiliate, and student—each of which has their own set of default permissions. These roles cannot be customized, however, you can create custom user roles that can be assigned the same types of permissions.
NOTE: Only users who are owners or students can be assigned a new custom role. Primary owners, authors, and affiliates cannot be assigned custom roles. However, author roles can be universally customized.
If you have the Business plan, you can create apply or remove these types of permissions:
- View Financial Information - The user will be able to view the transaction history in the Sales section of the school admin.
- Issue Purchase Refunds - The user will be able to issue a refund to a student.
- View Course Reporting - The user will be able to view reports for all courses in the school.
- Send Emails - The user will be able to send emails through Teachable.
- Create & Manage Courses - The user will be able to create sections and lectures, as well as add and rearrange content in your school’s courses.
- Publish & Delete Courses - The user will be able to publish and delete courses.
- Moderate Comments - The user will be able to manage comments made by students in course lectures.
It's important to note that some permissions can only be applied to a user's custom role in conjunction with another permission. This is because some permissions are predicated on the ability to access another permission.
- If the Issue Purchase Refunds permission is applied, then the View Financial Information permission will also be applied.
- If the Publish & Delete Courses permission is applied, then the Create & Manage Courses permission will also be applied.
- If the View Course Reporting permission is applied, then the Create and Manage Courses permission will also be applied.
Creating a Custom User Role
To create a new custom user role, complete the following steps:
- Log in to your Teachable school.
- Select the Users tab.
- Search for the user that you want to customize in the search field. To modify an existing custom user, click on the Custom tab and search for the user.
- Click on the user’s profile.
- Select the Role tab.
- In the Manage Role section, choose from the drop-down menu to select a custom role to apply to the user.
Alternatively, you can select the Create New Role option to create and apply permissions to a new role. Give the new role a name by entering text into the Role name field.
You can also modify a role that you have already created. To modify the permissions of an existing role, click on the Edit Role button. Click Save to update the role.
- Click Save to confirm the user's role change. A notification will appear indicating that the role has been applied to the user.
Revoking Custom User Role Permissions
If you no longer want a user to have custom permissions, you can revoke their permissions by clicking on the Revoke All Permissions button in the user's profile.
Alternatively, you can revoke custom user roles in bulk by navigating to the Users > Custom tab.