This article goes over what BackOffice is, the services offered through BackOffice, and how to enable it.
BackOffice is a service offered by Teachable to help you deal with some of the challenges posed by running an online school. Schools that have set up the Monthly Payment Gateway or Teachable Payments can enable BackOffice for a 2% fee-per-transaction. BackOffice is not available for schools using custom payment gateways.
Currently, enabling BackOffice gives you access to the following services:
- Automated Affiliate & Author payouts
- Automated Affiliate & Author tax form collection
- PayPal as a course payment option
Automatic Affiliate/Author Payouts
Teachable will automatically distribute payouts to affiliates and authors in your school via PayPal. Teachable distributes payouts to authors and affiliates every 30 days on the first business day of the month.
Affiliate/Author Tax Form Collection
Teachable will automatically handle and collect W-9 or W-8BEN forms from every affiliate and author that has made over $600 by the end of the year, as well as issue them a 1099 form before January 31st of the following year.
Enable PayPal - Optional
If you’d like to offer PayPal as a payment option for your students, BackOffice allows you to enable PayPal as a payment gateway in your school when using the Monthly Payment Gateway or Teachable Payments. Teachable will automatically track and pay out PayPal payments every 30 days (i.e. on the first business day of the month) to school owners, authors, and affiliates.
NOTE: Students won’t be able to purchase a course via PayPal for any type of recurring pricing plan, like an ongoing subscription or payment plan. PayPal will also not display as a payment option for students if the course is priced in a currency other than USD.
If you did not opt-in to BackOffice through Teachable Payments onboarding—or if you’re using the Monthly Payment Gateway—opt-in to BackOffice by completing the following steps:
- Log in to your Teachable school.
- Click on Settings in the admin sidebar and navigate to the Payments section.
- In the Teachable BackOffice section, click on the Enable Teachable BackOffice button.
- Click Enable BackOffice to confirm. Alternatively, if you want to disable BackOffice, you can click on the Disable Teachable BackOffice button.