This troubleshooting article covers some helpful tips to try when faced with login/account challenges. Topics include login/password/email issues, how to access certain parts of Teachable including Teachable Accounts, where to login, and how to reset your password and change your email address.
Why can’t I login?
There are a variety of reasons a failed login can occur: you might be signed in to the wrong account, have multiple accounts, or you might have an old password saved. Let’s look at some common troubleshooting steps:
- Check that you are not already logged into the school. If you’re logged in as a user you don’t recognize, click the avatar icon and choose Log out.
- Click the Login button, and enter your username and password for your school account. If you signed up with a Teachable Account, click the Login with Teachable button. Learn more about Teachable Accounts versus school accounts.
- If you are using a Teachable Account, you may see an Authorization request to allow the school to login using your Teachable Account credentials. Click Authorize to continue.
- If you receive an error message, check that you are using the correct email and password. Follow the steps below in “I forgot/lost my password.”
- If you see a message stating, "You can't do that!" you're likely trying to access the Admin as a student or non-admin level user. Log out and log back in using your owner credentials.
Other steps to try
If you are logging in with a new device from an owner, author, affiliate, or custom user role, you will be prompted to confirm the device via a confirmation code. Learn more about device confirmations.
If you’re sure of your password and you’re still having trouble logging in, try performing a hard refresh of your browser then log in again. If that doesn’t work, try clearing your browser cache and log in again.
Looking for help as a student? Read more in our student login guide.
Where is the login button for my school?
There are a few ways users can login to a school:
One option is to go to the specific school page URL and use the login button in the top right corner. This area also shows the currently logged in user.
If a login button is not showing on the school’s homepage, you can use the school’s direct login URL by adding /sign_in to the end of the school URL:
NOTE: You can add the Login button back to your school’s banner bar at any time in the Site > Navigation area of your admin. Read more about customizing your school’s navigation.
Another option is to login from your Teachable Account. You can access the Teachable Accounts login portal either through any Teachable school by clicking the Login with Teachable button, or through Teachable’s Homepage:
NOTE: Schools you own or are enrolled in will not appear in your Teachable Account if they are not connected or the school has disabled Teachable Accounts as a login option. Learn more about Teachable Accounts and connecting your school account to your Teachable Account.
I forgot/lost my password.
If you’ve forgotten your password, you can reset it via the Teachable school admin.
- Go to your school admin area and click Login.
- In the login screen, click Forgot Password.
- You’ll be asked to provide your email address, then click Next.
- Once you receive the reset password email, open it and click Change my Password.
- Follow the instructions to create a new password and you’re all set.
If you do not receive the reset password email, check your spam folders. Additionally, we recommend that you add m.teachable.com and z.teachable.com to your email client's "safe sender" list. Then, you can re-send the password reset email.
Read more about recovering your password.
How do I change my email address or password?
There are a few ways to change your email address or password depending on your account type.
First we’ll look at changing your email/password with a school account. Then how to change your email/password with a Teachable Account. Next, we’ll look at having an owner/author change a student’s password. Finally, we’ll explain what to do if you don’t know your password and cannot get into the Teachable admin.
Change your password and email address - School account
Within the Teachable admin, perform the following steps:
- Log into your school.
- Click on your avatar in the top right corner, then choose Edit Profile.
- In the Edit Profile screen, click the Edit button next to your name or email, or click Change next to your password. A popup will appear with steps to complete the change.
- Click Save when you are done.
Change your password and email address - Teachable account
Within the Teachable Accounts login portal:
- Click on Settings.
- Fill in the box to update Full Name or Email Address. For your password, click on the Change Password button for the new password blocks to appear.
- Enter your current password to confirm any changes, and click Save changes.
Change a student’s password or email
To change a password:
- Click Users.
- Under the Students tab, click the student name you wish to change the password for.
- In the Information > Profile section, click the Change Password button.
- Type the new password, confirm the new password, and click Change Password.
To change an email address:
- Click Users.
- Under the Students tab, click the student name you wish to change the password/email for.
- In the Information > Profile section, enter in a new email address in the Email field.
- Click Save.
What to do if you can’t remember your email address or password
In the case that you’ve lost the password you registered your school with, follow the instructions in the “I forgot/lost my password” section above.
If you’ve forgotten which email address you registered your school with but have access to your email, you can file a support ticket by providing the last four (4) digits of the credit card you registered your school with and the card type, and Customer Support will let you know which email address you used.
If you don’t have access to your email account, you can file a support ticket and Customer Support will ask you a series of verification questions to make sure you are the owner of the account. Once these questions are verified, Customer Support will help update your email address.
Learn more about getting help from Customer Support.
My student didn’t get a confirmation email.
Occasionally the confirmation email Teachable sends when a student is enrolled gets misplaced. When this happens, there are a few places to check:
First, have the student check their spam/promotion folders. Look for an email from Teachable, firstname.lastname@example.org. Owners/authors can also tell the student what the title of the email was so they can search for it that way. (This can be found in the Emails > History section of the admin.)
Next, safelist Teachable’s email domain - anything from teachable.com should be specifically added to your email client. A Google search can help you find instructions for your specific email client.
Further, check your admin settings to ensure you have confirmation instructions enabled:
- Login to your school.
- Go to Emails > Settings and tick the box for Confirmation Instructions.
Lastly, owners/authors can ask Customer Support to resend the confirmation email if necessary. This requires filing a support ticket.
Why should I login to Teachable Accounts?
Think of Teachable Accounts as your school dashboard. Students and owners can see which schools they’re enrolled in, create new schools, change their email or password, and update their credit card info.
By connecting your school account(s) with a Teachable Account, you can consolidate all of your school logins in one place. Learn more about enabling/disabling Teachable Accounts in your school.
I am locked out of my account.
In some scenarios, you might find yourself locked out of your account. This can occur if:
- You are not receiving a password reset or unrecognized device notification email
- You do not have access to the email address you created the account with and therefore cannot reset your password or confirm your device
If you have access to your email address but are not receiving either of the above emails, please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check secondary folders for emails from Teachable or your school—including the spam/junk, promotions, updates, and “all mail” folders
- Use your email search function to search for the title of the email (“Reset Password Instructions” for a password reset email, or “Login attempt on a new device” for unrecognized device notifications)
- Safelist Teachable's email domains—see our guide here
- Re-trigger the email after completing the above steps
If the above troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue, or you do not have access to your email account, please contact our Customer Support team directly at email@example.com. In your email, please include as much of the following information as you are able to:
- The school name and URL
- Your full name
- The email address you used to create the account
My school isn’t listed in my Teachable Account.
If you’re already connected to Teachable Accounts and don’t see your school listed, there could be a few reasons for this.
First, if you’re an owner/author, check to see if that school has Teachable Accounts enabled.
Next, ensure that you didn’t take the school offline. You can check this in the admin under Settings > General > School status.
If you have not connected your Teachable Account to your school account, you’ll need to connect your accounts. Read more about connecting your school account to your Teachable Account.
However, please note that not all schools are Teachable Accounts-enabled. This is up to the discretion of the school owner.
If you don’t see the option to connect your school account to a Teachable account or purchase with a Teachable Account, then only a school account will be available. For users in your school, this means that the option to have the specific school listed in their Teachable Accounts profile will not be available.
If a school has chosen not to enable Teachable Accounts, you will need to log in directly from that school’s URL. You can find the school URL from your original purchase or enrollment email receipt.
For students with login issues, read more in the login student guide.
For common technical troubleshooting issues, read more in our troubleshooting guide.