This article reviews how to collect and manage email leads.
An email lead is a potential customer whose contact information you have collected, typically from an opt-in form.
In many cases, creators collect email leads prior to launching their course or coaching product as a way to build an email list. Email leads can also be collected in exchange for special offers (such as course coupons, early access to new content, exclusive newsletters, etc.).
You can use the Email Leads Form block on your Teachable product or site pages to collect email leads. Collected emails will be added to your Users > Leads list, and can also be added to third-party integrations.
Leads do not have user accounts in your school (i.e., they do not have a login or password). If a lead would like to enroll in a specific course or product in your school, they will still need to create an account from your school homepage or a product sales page.
Marketing Compliance Note: Different jurisdictions have different requirements around email marketing. As the owner of your school, it is your responsibility to make sure that you’re complying with all marketing laws that apply to your business.
Set up a new lead form
To set up a lead form, open up the page editor for the product or site page where you would like to add the form.
- For product pages, such as sales pages or thank you pages, navigate to the specific product’s Pages menu.
- For site pages, such as you homepage, navigate to your school’s Site > Pages menu.
NOTE: The Email Leads Form block is only available on Page Editor 2.0.
Once you open the page editor, you will need to add an Email Leads Form block. Please note the Email Leads Form block is included by default on page editor 2.0 homepages and sales pages created after March 15, 2021.
To add a new block to your page, click the Add New Block button on the left-hand side and choose a block type:
The Email Leads Form block contains the following fields:
- Form Name - for your internal use. The form name will be listed as the Source when you export a list of your email leads from your Users > Leads page.
- Heading Text - the title, or first line, of the form
- Description text - a short description beneath the heading
- Button Text - the text that appears on the button
- Disclaimer Text - the small line of text beneath the button. You can use our default text, or create your own.
- Thank You Text - the message displayed on the page after a user correctly submits their email in the form
- Add a checkbox for consent - if toggled on, leads must click this checkbox in order to submit their form and be added to the school’s Users > Leads page. If the lead attempts to submit a form without checking off this box, they will receive an error message. Under the data privacy laws of certain regions, such as the European Union, some creators are required to obtain the user’s express consent before collecting their personal information. This checkbox allows you to obtain that consent.
- Checkbox message - if the checkbox setting above is enabled, this text will be displayed to the right of the checkbox.
After setting up the lead form, school owners can navigate to their Emails > Settings page to choose whether they would like to enable or disable the Double Opt-in for Leads email.
If enabled, leads will receive a confirmation email with the steps they need to complete prior to being added to your Users > Leads list. If disabled, leads will be added to your Users > Leads list once they complete the form on your page.
NOTE: The Email Leads Form block is included by default on Teachable homepages and sales pages created after March 15, 2021. You can remove the block from the page editor at any time.
The subscriber experience
Once a customer enters their email address into a lead form, they will see the Thank You text appear on the page. The Thank You text can be customized by the school owner from the Email Leads Form block on the page editor.
If the school owner has disabled the Double Opt-in for Leads email (see above), the lead will be added to the school’s Users > Leads list at this point and no further action is necessary.
If the Double Opt-in for Leads email is enabled, once the lead completes the initial form they will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com. The email title is Please confirm your email address for [School Name].
Once the customer clicks the Confirm now button in the email, they will they will be redirected to the page that contained the form and see a “Thank you for subscribing” confirmation message. Confirmed emails are added to the school’s Users > Leads list.
If a lead has already been added to your Leads list, they will see an “Email already exists” message after clicking the Confirm now button from the confirmation email.
NOTE: The content and text of confirmation email and “Thank you for subscribing” message cannot be edited at this time.
Manage your leads
Once a user has submitted their email (and confirmed via email if required), that user will be added to your Users > Leads list.
To export a CSV list of your email leads, click the Export CSV button in the top right corner of the page. This will send a downloadable CSV file to your device that contains the list of users. Please allow a few minutes for the download to send.
The exported report will include the following columns:
- Email - The email address of the user.
- Source - The Form Name of the specific form the user submitted.
- Initial Consent - Indicates whether or not the form included a checkbox for consent that was checked off by the lead. If the column lists "Yes", the form included a checkbox. If the column lists "N/A", the form did not include a checkbox.
- Created at - The date the user submitted their email address to the form.
Once you have a list of leads, you may want to contact them via email. Please note that you cannot email leads directly from Teachable’s email function. However, you can integrate your lead forms with third-party services to manage and send emails.
To remove or delete an email from your Leads list, click the Delete icon to the right of the listed email. You will also need to remove them from any third-party integrations they were added to.
You can integrate your email leads list with third-party services. This allows you to send the collected emails to services outside of Teachable, where you can manage and send emails.
NOTE: Third-party applications exist outside the realm of Customer Care and what we can support. This means that we cannot assist with the maintenance or troubleshooting of third-party providers.
Mailchimp is a third-party service used for email marketing. Emails collected via email lead forms can be sent directly to your Mailchimp list.
To do so, you will need to set up the Mailchimp integration from your Settings > Integrations menu. For more information on how to set up this integration, please refer to this Knowledge Base article.
Leads collected via an Email Leads Form will be added to the same subscriber group in your Mailchimp account as other school signups. If you wish to add specific tags or groups to email leads, then you may wish to experiment with using Zapier to connect Mailchimp and Teachable rather than using the direct MailChimp integration. Zapier filters allow you to provide conditionals on Zapier triggers and actions.
ConvertKit is another third-party service used for email marketing. Emails collected via email lead forms can be sent to a specific form within your ConvertKit account.
To set up email leads with ConvertKit, you need to set up our ConvertKit integration from your Settings > Integrations menu.
- Copy the Public API Key and API Secret from your ConvertKit account to your Teachable Settings > Integration menu. For more information on this step, please refer to our ConvertKit and Teachable Knowledge Base article.
- In your ConvertKit account, create a new form from the Landing Pages & Forms tab by clicking Create New.
- Complete the steps to select a form type, format, and template. (This form will not be visible on Teachable).
- Copy the Form ID number from the URL at the top of the browser bar.
- Paste the number into the ConvertKit Form ID field on your Teachable integrations page.
- Click Save at the top of the page.
Once completed, any user who subscribes to your email lead form on Teachable will be added as a subscriber to your form in your ConvertKit account.
NOTE: If you toggle on the Send incentive email setting from your ConvertKit form’s Settings > Incentive menu, leads will receive an additional confirmation email directly from ConvertKit. They will not be added to your ConvertKit list until they confirm this email. For more information on this feature, you can contact ConvertKit’s support team.
Webhooks are used to send information from one app to another. Teachable offers a Email Lead Subscribed webhook event, which captures and sends data from your email lead forms to third-parties.
For more information on how to set up webhooks, and to see what specific data is included in the Email Lead Subscribed webhook event, please see this Knowledge Base article.
Zapier is a third-party application that allows you to connect and automate triggers and actions between Teachable and other services. This can enable you to connect Teachable to other services for which we do not provide direct integrations.
Within Zapier, you can use the Email Lead Created trigger for email leads. This event triggers whenever a new user signs up through an email lead form.
For more information on connecting Teachable with Zapier, please see this Knowledge Base article.