This article gives an overview of order bumps. It reviews what an order bump is and how to add an order bump offer to your checkout page(s).
An order bump is a way to add on an additional product on the checkout page. The order bump offer is presented directly on the checkout page, and with a single click, the customer can add the additional product onto their purchase.
Order bumps are used to sell complementary or add-on products to customers, and provide creators with an opportunity to increase their overall revenue per purchase.
TIP: For more tips and strategies on using order bumps to increase your school revenue, check out the Teachable blog.
On Teachable, you can add an order bump to any course, coaching, or bundle product checkout page. The order bump offer can be for any other course, coaching product, or bundle in your school that has a one-time or recurring payment option. Please note that courses offered for free cannot have order bumps because there is no checkout page for free products.
Create order bump product
The order bump you add onto the checkout page is another existing product within your Teachable school.
If you haven’t created the product you’d like to use as an order bump, you can do so by clicking the “+” icon next to the Products heading on your admin menu:
The product you create can be offered as a separate product available for independent purchase in your school, or you can set it up to be only available as an order bump add-on for other products. If you do not want the order bump to be available for independent purchase, you can keep it hidden by unpublishing (if the product is a course) or making it invisible (if the product is a coaching product).
We recommend creating an order bump product that is complementary to existing products within your school as a way to entice customers to add the order bump to their purchase. For example, if you have a guitar lessons course in your school, you might choose to create a complementary course that contains sheet music downloadables as the order bump.
For the product to be used as an order bump, it must have a one-time purchase or subscription pricing plan set up from the Pricing tab of the order bump product.
Add an order bump
To add an order bump offer, navigate to the Order Bumps tab of the product you would like to contain the order bump offer. Then, click the Create Order Bump button in the top right corner.
NOTE: Primary owners and owners are able to access the Order Bumps menu. Authors can access the Order Bumps menu if they have the “Let authors set course prices” setting enabled, and custom user roles can access if they have the “Create and manage courses” setting enabled.
This will open up a pop-up window where you will enter in details about the order bump. In the pop-up window, you will be prompted to fill out the following fields:
- Main product - This field will be auto-filled with the name of the product you are adding the order bump offer to.
- Main product pricing plan - Select the name of the main product pricing plan you would like to contain the order bump. Each product pricing plan has its own checkout page. This means that if you would like to have an order bump on all pricing options for a product, you will need to create a new order bump for each main product pricing plan option.
- Order bump product - Select the name of the course, coaching product, or bundle that you will be advertising as the add-on order bump offer.
- Order bump pricing plan - Select the name of the product pricing plan for the order bump. Please note that only recurring pricing options that match the pricing option of the main product will display in the drop down menu. For example, if the original product is priced as a monthly payment plan, the order bump must also be a monthly payment plan. This is also the case for subscription payment plans. One-time payment order bumps are available for all main product pricing options.
Once you fill in the above details, click Next. On the next window, you will customize additional details for the order bump. These details will adjust how the order bump is displayed on the checkout page:
- Original price - This field will be auto-filled with the name of the order bump pricing plan you selected on the previous window.
- Sales price - If you would like to offer your order bump at a discounted price from the original price, enter a sales price amount here. This field is optional. The sales price will only be available through the order bump, and the sales pricing will not be added to the Pricing page of the order bump product. For pricing plans and subscriptions, this sale price will apply to all transactions.
- Show original price with strikethrough - If you entered in a sales price, there will be an optional checkbox that allows you to show the original price with a strikethrough on the order bump offer. The sales price will be displayed to the right of the original price with the strikethrough.
- Checkbox text - The text next to the checkbox. Customers must click the checkbox if they would like to add the order bump to their purchase.
- Order bump headline - The headline, or first line, of the order bump offer.
- Order bump description - A short description of the order bump offer, where you can describe the product being offered.
After completing the fields above, click the Add order bump button. This will add the order bump to your main product’s Order Bumps page, where you can later preview the order bump.
To publish an order bump, turn on the Publish toggle located next to the order bump details.
Once an order bump is published, it will be visible on the checkout page of the main product pricing plan. You can publish/unpublish order bumps at any time.
You can only have one published order bump per checkout page. If you go to publish an order bump offer for a main product pricing plan that already has an active order bump, you will see the following message which indicates you already have a published order bump offer on that checkout page:
If you choose to publish anyway, the existing order bump for that pricing plan will be automatically unpublished.
The customer experience
When a customer selects a pricing option for a product that has a published order bump offer, they will see a section at the bottom of the checkout page with the order bump.
If the customer clicks on the checkbox to add the item to their purchase, the order bump will be added as a list item to the Order Summary section at the top of the checkout page.
If a student has a coupon for the main product pricing plan, the coupon will only apply to the product. Coupons do not apply to an order bump. If you would like to offer a discount within an order bump, you can create a sales price when creating your order bump.
Once the customer clicks the purchase button at the bottom of the page, they will be enrolled into both products. The customer will receive two separate receipt emails for the purchase (one for each product). However, they will only see one charge on their billing statement for their credit/debit card and/or PayPal account that reflects the total charge amount.
NOTE: If the customer has an existing account in your school and they are already enrolled in the product that is being offered as an order bump, they will not see the order bump section on the checkout page.
Manage your order bumps
All order bumps you create for a product are listed in the Order Bumps tab of that product.
Order bumps are listed by:
- Order bump - name of the product you have added as an order bump offer
- Main product pricing plan - Name of the pricing plan (i.e., the specific checkout page) the order bump offer is on
- Price - price of the order bump
To see what your order bump looks like on the checkout page of the main product pricing plan, click the View icon to the right of the order bump details. The order bump will only be visible if it is published.
If you would like to change order bump text, enable/disable the "show original price with strikethrough" option, or review your order bump's details, click the View/Edit Details button.
TIP: Within the order bump description, you can bold, italic, underline, indent, line break, hyperlink, bullet, and number list content using the rich text editor.
If you would like to change the product or pricing in an order bump, you can unpublish the current order bump and create a new one.
To delete an order bump, click the More Options icon; then click Delete. A pop-up window will appear asking to confirm your deletion. Click Delete again to confirm.
Transaction reporting & refunds
If a customer purchases an order bump, the order bump will be listed as an individual transaction in your Sales > Transactions menu. This means that you will see a transaction for both the main product purchase and the order bump purchase.
The Offer Type column of the Sales > Transactions menu includes the following categories:
- Order bump - the transaction was for an order bump
- Upsell - the transaction was for an upsell
- Blank/empty - the transaction was for a main product
Additionally, you can add a Filter for Offer type to sort your transactions list by order bumps or upsells.
You can download a CSV report of all your transactions by clicking the Export CSV button in the top right corner of the Sales > Transactions page. This will send an email to the primary owner that contains a downloadable CSV file. In the report, there is a “offer type” column. If the column lists “order bump,” then the transaction was an order bump add-on purchase. If the column is blank, the transaction was a regular purchase.
To refund an order bump purchase, click into the specific transaction and click the Refund Transaction button. As order bumps are listed as separate transactions from the original purchase, you can choose to refund just the order bump, just the original main order purchase, or both. If you are refunding both, you will need to complete the process for each separate transaction. For more information on refunds, refer to the Student Refunds article.
If the main product or the order bump product have authors, the authors of each product will receive their set revenue share amount for those products.
If the customer purchased using a course affiliate link, the affiliate will receive commission for the main product purchase only. Affiliate fees do not apply for the order bump product.