This article goes over how to access and understand course reporting tools.
If you would like information on how individual students are performing in your course, check out Student Progress Reports.
On the Pro plan and up, schools can access course reporting tools.
Course reports provide more detailed information about students’ lecture completion rates, quiz scores, video stats, and student leaderboards. This information can be helpful when trying to understand how your students are engaging with your course material.
Course reports are available for the following:
- Lecture completion - View average completion rates for your course.
- Video stats - View how videos in your course are performing (including data on video engagement, play rates, etc.). You can also view a retention report for each video.
- Quiz scores - View how students are performing on your course quizzes on average.
- Leaderboards - View which students have made the most course progress.
You can also export the Lecture completion or Leaderboards reports.
Access and filter course reports
Course reports are accessible within each individual course in your school. To access your course reports:
- Click the Courses tab from your admin menu.
- Select a specific course.
- Click the Reports tab.
- Use the drop-down menu at the top of the page to select a specific report type.
You can also filter course reports by user tags. This allows you to segment your reports by specific cohorts or groups of students. To filter your reports by a tag, type in or select an existing tag in the Filter by tag field at the top of the page.
Learn more about user tags.
NOTE: The tag filter is not available for the Video Stats report.
The lecture completion report shows the average completion rate for your course, measured by how many lectures within the course each student marked as complete. There are two charts available in this section:
- Student breakdown - View the average completion rate by various student segments (including all students, students who paid full price, students who paid at a discount/with a coupon, and students who did not pay).
- Percentage breakdown - View how many students are at each completion threshold. (If the student is enrolled in the course as a part of a bundled content offer, they will not be included in this breakdown.)
NOTE: A lecture is only marked as complete if the student clicks the Complete and Continue button at the top of the lecture page. Learn more about how students mark course progress.
The Video Stats report lets you see how each individual video is performing.
This report will only display information about videos that have been uploaded directly to Teachable using the file uploader. Any videos that have been embedded using an embed code and a code block will not be included in the Video Stats report.
For each video, the following information is available:
- Engagement - The percentage of the video that is watched on average.
- Play rate - The percentage of people who see the video and click play.
- Loads - The total number of video loads.
- Visitors - The total number of visitors to the video.
- Plays - The total number of video plays.
- Hours watched - The total number of hours watched
Each video will also have a retention report. To view a video’s retention report, click the View Retention Report button next to the specific video. This will open up a popup report, where you can view information about how long users watched your video.
The graph shows the percentage of users who continued to watch the video as it progressed. It also displays the total number of video views, and the average length of time your users watched the video.
The Quiz Scores report displays records of student performance on graded quizzes.
The quiz report contains the following information for each quiz in your course:
- Average Score - The average of scores achieved by all students who completed the quiz.
- Min Score - The lowest score achieved out of all of the students who completed the quiz.
- Max Score - The highest score achieved out of all of the students who completed the quiz.
- Total Completed - The number of students who completed the quiz.
If you would like to see how an individual student has scored on your course quizzes, navigate to their progress report.
The Leaderboards report displays a list of the course’s students, organized by progress level.
For each student, you can view the following information:
- Rank - The user’s rank compared to other students in the course.
- Name - The user’s name.
- Progress - The percentage of the user’s course completion.
- Enrolled - The approximate amount of time the user has been enrolled in the course.
- Certificate - If the student has been issued a certificate for the course, their unique certificate ID number is listed here.
Export report data
You can download a .CSV report for both the Lecture Completion and Leaderboards reports.
To download a report:
- Navigate to either the Lecture Completion or Leaderboards report from the course Reports tab.
- Click the Export CSV button in the top right corner of the page.
This will download a .csv file to your device.
The export will contain the following data:
- Quiz average - The average of scores achieved by all students who completed the quiz.
- Quiz complete - The number of students who completed the entire quiz.
- Quiz incomplete - The number of students who took some of, but not the entire, quiz.
- Quiz min - The lowest score achieved out of all of the students who completed the quiz.
- Quiz max - The highest score achieved out of all of the students who completed the quiz.
- Quiz total - The total number of students who took the quiz.
- Percent complete - The percentage of students who marked a lecture as complete.
- Name - The student’s name.
- Email - The student’s email address.
- User ID - The student’s unique User ID number.
- Enrollment created at - The date and time that the student enrolled in course (in UTC).
- Percent complete - The percentage of the course that the student has marked as complete.
- Certificate serial number - If the student has been issued a certificate for the course, their unique certificate ID number is listed here.
Frequently asked questions
My student says they completed a course, but course data shows they have not. How is this possible?
A lecture will only be marked as complete once a student clicks the Complete and Continue button on the top of that lecture page.
Learn more about how students navigate and view course content.
How can I see how a specific student has performed in the course?
You can monitor individual student progress (such as their quiz scores, lecture progress, and video data) from their progress report.
Learn more about student progress reports.
Why is the quiz report not displaying data on my lecture quizzes?
Only graded quizzes have their results displayed in student progress reports. You can check to see if you set a quiz as graded or ungraded by navigating to the Curriculum tab of the course and clicking into the specific lecture.
Learn more about graded and ungraded quizzes.