This article goes over integrating Mailchimp with your Teachable school.
NOTE: Third-party tools exist outside the realm of customer support. This means that we cannot assist with maintenance, customization, or troubleshooting within the tool itself. Moreover, with any changes made within the tool, we cannot ensure its functionality or full compatibility with current or future versions of Teachable.
Mailchimp is an email marketing tool that allows you to build and manage large email lists. Teachable already includes an email client that allows you to send one-time emails to your entire group of students or a smaller, targeted subset, but you may want to use Mailchimp to:
- Set up automatic emails
- Make sure students who sign up for your school are added to your email list
- Monitor and track email performance
- And more
Set up the integration
- Navigate to the Settings > Apps page of your school admin.
- Click the Mailchimp icon to open up a popup modal.
- In the popup modal, you’ll see two empty text fields asking for a Mailchimp API Key and a Mailchimp Audience ID. To find those, open up a new window or tab and log in to your Mailchimp account.
- Click your profile icon in the bottom left corner of your Mailchimp dashboard.
- Select Account from the pop-up menu.
- Click Extras.
- Choose API keys from the dropdown list.
- Scroll down to the Your API Keys section and click Create a Key.
- The page will reload. Scroll down and copy the API key that appears under the Your API keys heading.
- Go back to your Teachable school and paste the API key into the API Key text field.
- To find your Mailchimp List ID, travel back to your Mailchimp dashboard and click Audience from the left navigation bar. Then, click the All contacts tab.
- From the Settings dropdown menu, click Audience name and defaults.
- Copy the Audience ID number.
- Return to your Teachable window and paste the ID into the Audience ID text field.
- Click the Save button to close the popup.
Once the integration has been setup, every student who registers for your Teachable school will also be added to your Mailchimp. However, if a student opts out of your marketing emails upon registration, they will not be added to your Mailchimp list.
Disable the integration
If you would like to stop sending signups from your school to your Mailchimp account, you can disable the Mailchimp integration at any time. To do so:
- Navigate to the Settings > Apps page of your Teachable school.
- Click the Mailchimp icon.
- In the popup modal, click the Uninstall app button.
Once uninstalled, you will see a success message at the bottom of the screen indicating that the integration has been uninstalled.
If users are not being sent to your Mailchimp list, please review the following troubleshooting steps.
Edit your audience field settings
When a user signs up for a Teachable account, they enter their name as one field. In other words, Teachable does not require separate first and last name fields. Therefore, you should check your Mailchimp settings to ensure you are not requiring separate first and last name fields.
- From your Mailchimp Audience Dashboard, click the Manage Audience dropdown menu. Then, select Settings.
- Select Audience fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
- Uncheck any Required or Visible boxes for First Name and Last Name values. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Check your student opt-in status
When a student signs up for an account in your school, they have the option to opt-in to receiving instructional and promotional emails.
If a student does not opt-in to receive these emails, they will not be passed to your Mailchimp list.
You can see which students have opted in/out of receiving emails from your school by going to Users > Students and checking the Email Opt Out column. "Yes" means that they have opted out and will not receive emails. "No" means they have opted in and will receive emails.