School owners on the Business plan have the ability to create custom user roles with varying permissions. This article goes over how to tailor user roles to fit your needs.
There are five types of user roles on Teachable—primary owner, owner, author, affiliate, and student—each of which has their own set of default permissions. These roles cannot be customized; however, the primary owner of your school can create custom user roles.
Custom user roles allow you to give certain administrative permissions to select users in your school. For example, you can create a custom user role that has access to specific financial permissions, or you can create a role for site customization and design. Once you create a role, you can then assign that role to users in your school.
You can have a maximum of 20 custom users in your school.
The following permissions can be included in a custom user role:
- Create & Manage Products - The user will be able to create sections and lectures, create and manage coupons, create certificates of completion, and add and rearrange course content, edit coaching milestone templates, and add or remove bundle content.
- Create & Manage Users - The user will be able to add new users, add affiliates, unenroll students (from courses, coaching products, and bundles), and view user information in the Users section of the school admin.
- Customize Site - The user will be able to make customizations to the school’s Site including the theme, site navigation, and custom pages. The user will also be able to add custom text, code snippets, and can access the Power Editor section of the school admin.
- Erase Users - The user will be able to permanently delete users from the school.
- Issue Purchase Refunds - The user will be able to issue a refund to a student.
- Manage School Settings - The user will be able to modify the school's general settings, enable email notifications, and add webhooks.
- Moderate Comments - The user will be able to manage comments made by students in course lectures.
- Publish & Delete Products - The user will be able to publish and delete courses, coaching products, and bundles.
- Send Emails - The user will be able to send emails through Teachable.
- View Course Reporting - The user will be able to view reports for all courses in the school.
- View Financial Information - The user will be able to view the transaction history in the Sales section of the school admin.
- Access and Manage Enrolled Coaching Space- The user will be able to access individual clients’ enrolled coaching spaces, create new milestones, and comment on existing milestones.
It's important to note that some permissions can only be applied to a user's custom role in conjunction with another permission. This is because some permissions require access to another permission.
- If the Publish & Delete Products permission is applied, then the Create & Manage Products permission will also be applied.
- If the View Course Reporting permission is applied, then the Create and Manage Products permission will also be applied.
- If the Erase Users permission is applied, then the Create & Manager Users permission will also be applied.
- If the Access and Manage Enrolled Coaching Space permission is applied, then the Create & Manager Users and Create and Manage Products permissions will also be applied.
Create a custom user role
To create a new custom user role:
- Navigate to your Settings tab, then click Roles.
- Click the Custom roles tab.
- Click the Add Custom Role button.
- A popup modal will appear. In the Role text field, enter the name of the custom role you're creating. Use the checkboxes to assign permissions to the role, and click Save once you're done.
Assign custom roles to users
Once you have created a custom role, you can assign the role to existing users in your school.
NOTE: Only users who are owners or students can be assigned a custom role. Primary owners, authors, and affiliates cannot be assigned custom roles. However, authors role can be universally customized.
To assign a custom user role to an existing user in your school:
- Navigate to their profile from the Users > Students or Users > Owners tab.
- Click the Role tab.
- In the Manage Role dropdown, select the custom user role you would like to assign to that user and click Save.
If you would like to create an entirely new user in your school as a custom role, learn more in the Add Users to Your School Knowledge Base article.
To unassign a custom role, navigate to the Role tab of the user’s profile and click Revoke All Permissions:
Edit or delete custom user roles
At any time you can go to the Settings > Roles > Custom Roles page to edit and/or delete your existing custom user roles. Click the ellipses icon and click either edit or delete. Edit role allows you to change the permissions of a custom user role. Delete role will remove the custom user role.
NOTE: You cannot delete a custom user role if it is assigned to a user. You must first un-assign the role from any users with the role.