School owners on the Business plan have to ability to create custom user roles with varying permissions. This article goes over how to tailor user roles to fit your needs.
There are five types of user roles on Teachable—primary owner, owner, author, affiliate, and student—each of which has their own set of default permissions. These roles cannot be customized, however, the primary owner of your school can create custom user roles with the same types of permissions.
NOTE: Only users who are owners or students can be assigned a new custom role. Primary owners, authors, and affiliates cannot be assigned custom roles. However, authors role can be universally customized..
If your school is on the Business plan, you can create, apply, or remove these types of permissions:
- Create & Manage Courses - The user will be able to create sections and lectures, create and manage coupons, create certificates of completion, and add and rearrange content in your school’s courses.
- Create & Manage Users - The user will be able to add new users, add affiliates, unenroll students, and view user information in the Users section of the school admin.
- Customize Site - The user will be able to make customizations to the school’s Site including the theme, site navigation, and custom pages. The user will also be able to add custom text, code snippets, and can access the Power Editor section of the school admin.
- Erase Users - The user will be able to permanently delete users from the school.
- Issue Purchase Refunds - The user will be able to issue a refund to a student.
- Manage School Settings - The user will be able to modify the school's general settings, enable email notifications, and add webhooks.
- Moderate Comments - The user will be able to manage comments made by students in course lectures.
- Publish & Delete Courses - The user will be able to publish and delete courses.
- Send Emails - The user will be able to send emails through Teachable.
- View Course Reporting - The user will be able to view reports for all courses in the school.
- View Financial Information - The user will be able to view the transaction history in the Sales section of the school admin.
It's important to note that some permissions can only be applied to a user's custom role in conjunction with another permission. This is because some permissions are predicated on the ability to access another permission.
- If the Publish & Delete Courses permission is applied, then the Create & Manage Courses permission will also be applied.
- If the View Course Reporting permission is applied, then the Create and Manage Courses permission will also be applied.
- If the Erase Users permission is applied, then the Create & Manager Users permission will also be applied.
Create a Custom User Role
To create a new custom user role, go to your Settings tab and click Roles.
Click the Create New Role Button; a modal will appear. In the Role text field, enter the name of the custom role you're creating. Use the checkboxes to assign permissions to the role, and click Save once you're done.
Alternatively, you can select the Create New Role option when adding a custom role user to create and apply privileges for a new role. Give the new role a name by entering text into the Role name field. Click Save once you've selected permissions for the custom role.
To assign a custom user role to an existing user in your school, navigate to that User profile. Then, click the Role tab for that user and select a custom role from the Manage Role dropdown menu.
NOTE: The limit of custom users per Business plan is 20.
Edit Custom User Roles
At anytime you can go to the Roles page to edit and/or delete your existing custom user roles. Click the ellipses icon and click either edit or delete. Edit allows you to change the permissions of a custom user role. Delete will remove the custom user role.
NOTE: You cannot delete a custom user role if it is assigned to a user.