NEW: Start selling fast with downloadable content. Join our Growth Accelerator and get expert led-instruction to expand your reach and earn more.
Digital downloads are a way to package your content files into a product offering for students. This product type offers flexibility in sharing digital products like ebooks, audio files, podcasts, how-to’s, guides, or other printables and downloadables.
Benefits of offering digital downloads include:
- Using digital downloads to increase your sales by offering them as order bumps, in bundles, or selling them as stand-alone products.
- Getting your knowledge business running with products that are easier to create than a course.
- Offering free digital downloads as lead magnets to help build your audience.
Create a downloadable product
To create a digital download product in your school:
- From you Admin area, click the Digital Downloads tab and click the Create Digital Download button.
Alternatively, you can click the plus (+) icon next to Products or click the Create New Product button in the top right corner of your dashboard.
- In the Information tab, fill in the following information:
- Product Name - the name as it will appear to your customers
- Category - the type of digital content within the product (i.e. ebook, audiobook, template, etc.)
- Description - details of the digital product as it will appear to your customers
- Thumbnail - image used to represent the product on the All Products page
- Click Save before moving to the next step.
- Below the thumbnail, add your Content.
NOTE: Schools on the Pro plan and up can upload an unlimited number of files within a single digital download product. Free and Basic plan schools have a limit of 5 files per digital download product. Schools on the Basic plan and up have a maximum total file(s) size of 2GB. Free plan schools have a total file(s) size of 250 MB.
- When you are ready to publish your product, click Publish. To make the product visible on the All Products page in your school, switch the Product Visibility toggle on.
Available file types for digital downloads:
- Documents: .pdf, .txt, .doc, .docx, .epub
- Spreadsheets: .xls, .xlsx, .csv
- Images: .jpg, .gif, .png, .tif, .webp
- Audio: .mp3, .m4a, .aac
Pro plan and up schools can upload any file type for products such as vector images, CAD files, videos, and more.
Manage and edit digital download details
After you have completed your digital download product, you can add or replace content at any time. Replacing content will not remove any products your students have already downloaded to their device, however, new students will not be able to download deleted content.
To add or remove a file within your digital download product:
- Go to the Information tab and scroll to the Content section.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To add an additional file to your product, click the Upload button and choose an additional file from your device or cloud storage service.
- To delete an existing file, click the Delete button next to the specific file. This action is permanent. Digital Downloads > Information > Content: Delete
CAUTION: Once a file is uploaded to a published product, students who have signed up will be able to immediately download all content.
By default, all new digital download products are unpublished. To make your digital downloads available and visible for purchase, publish your product and turn the Product Visibility toggle on. This can be updated at any time. Learn more about product visibility on Teachable.
Once you've created your digital product, you can edit your product’s sales page in the Pages tab. To update your sales page:
- Go to the Pages tab and click the Edit button next to the sales page.
- Within the page editor, use the Page Blocks to add images, descriptions, and other details about your product.
- To change the sales page settings, including the page name and/or sales page url, click the gear icon.
- Once your sales page is complete, click the Preview button to view the page as your students will see it.
- Click Save.
To share the sales page directly with your audience:
- Go to the Pages tab and click the More options button (three dot icon) next to the sales page.
- Click Copy URL Link. This will save the URL to your clipboard to paste into emails, social media posts, and more.
Product pricing options can be edited at any time from Digital Downloads > Pricing. You can set the price for a digital product to free, one-time payment, or a payment plan. Learn more about setting up and adding prices to your products.
To quickly filter and view the students with access to a digital download, click the Students tab. This will automatically redirect you to the Users area in your admin with the appropriate filter already applied.
Once your digital product is published, students can access your content from your school’s All Products page, or through the direct url of the product’s sales page.
On the sales page, a student can click on the Download button found on the Banner block or within the Button block. This will direct your student to your school’s login page. Returning students can use their existing login credentials to download, while new students can sign up and create a login account.
Once logged in, students have immediate access to the download page for your product where they can download all files added to your digital download product.
NOTE: To avoid confusion, ensure that your students have the applications necessary for opening the file. For example, in order for a student to open a Word document, they'll need to have Microsoft Word on their device.
Delete a digital download product
To delete an entire digital download product:
- Navigate to the Information tab of that product and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click the Delete digital download button.
- A pop-up window will appear to confirm this action. Click the Delete button.
CAUTION: Please note that this action is permanent and cannot be undone.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. This is managed in the Pricing tab of your digital product. Digital products are limited to free, one-time payment, or payment plans. Learn more about setting up pricing plans in your products.